Saturday, September 20, 2008

Leaving on Monday!

No power for 8 days has me ready in spirit to head to Israel and completely unprepared in the everyday realities of preparing for a trip. Clothes are not washed, bags are not packed but ready or not I'll be on a plane Monday morning. No power has been similar to a self-imposed silent retreat for me. Chuck (my husband) left for Dallas on Monday morning so for 5 days, I picked up branches, racked and bagged leaves, cleaned house and emptied a very smelly refrigerator and freezer all in silence. No TV to keep me company, no battery powered radio to keep me updated on PODs or availability of ice. I drank luke-warm bottled water and ate peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. The silence has nurtured my soul. And when I was in need of the company of others, I walked out my front door and visited with neighbors as we consoled ourselves over downed trees and no power. But we also renewed relationships, laughed over our silliness of still walking into rooms and flipping light switches that had no effect and offered one another hope that tomorrow we would see a Center Point Energy truck. The truth is, this has been an experience that not only has reminded me of the joy of those in my life, but it has also reminded me of the need for silence in the hectic and chaotic world in which we live. So, as I head for Israel, into the land of our ancestors, I will hold the silence that has surrounded me this week close to my heart, remembering the sanctity of all of life as I once again prepare to walk in the footsteps of Jesus.

inJoy,

Suzy

No comments:

Post a Comment