Tuesday, September 7, 2010

the journey begins...day 1

We’ve arrived!

We're, tired from the long plane rides and very little sleep but the tiredness has not damped our spirits.


It’s evening now and I am sitting on the hotel roof top, next to the pool looking out over the lighted Acropolis. The stars are shining, the air is cool and crisp. It is truly an amazing sight and I am thanking God for this place that I am in.

On the flight over I could not help but think what an odd turn of events it is that I should be the one leading a group to walk in the places where Paul walked. Honestly, Paul’s letters are not the place in scripture where my heart and mind connected to God. For me, it is the gospel stories, meeting Jesus as he taught, walked among the people and showed us how to live. But I know that for many, the words of Paul are the place where God touched their hearts and lives. Big names, like Martin Luther as he read Romans and John Wesley whose heart was strangely warmed while he heard Luther’s introduction to Romans being read. One of my professors at seminary also had a life changing experience while reading Paul’s letters. And I ran into a old friend on Sunday who told me Ephesians is her favorite book in the Bible. I am clear that Paul’s letters are the source of not only inspiration but conversion for many.

As I write this, I am reminded that many of the scriptures that I actually know my heart are from the letters to Paul. So I too, am indebted to the man who was so overtaken by his experience of the risen Christ that he could do nothing else but preach to gospel and compel others to become followers of “The Way” not just in Jerusalem and Israel but throughout the world.

I hope you will get a taste of the places Paul walked and preached the good news as you follow us on our journey through Greece.

InJoy...Suzy

1 comment:

  1. Jill (Rader) StewartSeptember 7, 2010 at 5:20 PM

    Congratulations on a safe arrival! I know everyone is tired but the journey ahead holds a lot of promise. Thanks for sharing your views - both in words and pictures! I'm looking forward to sharing the journey with my parents, who are there with you! Safe travels, Jill Rader Stewart

    ReplyDelete