Friday, April 6, 2012

I rang the bell!!!




I rang the bell!!! I stand in a long line of tradition of those who ring bells as an act of celebration, thanksgiving and making a joyful noise to God.


The ringing of bells dates back to the time the time before Christ. In ancient China, these were originally used for laborers to play after their work in the fields had ceased. These bells were used as a way to relax and bring joy to the end of a hard day’s work.

In Biblical times, bells were sown on the bottom of the vestment of Priests. You might recall that the Priest who entered the “holy of holies,” the place where the Ark of the Covenant resided in the temple, wore bells on the bottom of his vestments as a signal to alert those on the outside that the Priest was still alive. If the bells stopped ringing, they could literally pull the priest out by a rope tied around his waist.

The ringing of bells as a sign of celebration has a long history. In the book of Psalms, bells are used as a way to make a joyful noise to the Lord. In about the 5th century bells began to be used to summon monks to worship. This tradition has continued throughout the centuries as we still find bells being rung on Sunday mornings summing God’s people to worship.
During World War I, the bells were silenced for two years and did not ring again until the celebration of the Armistice.

For those of us who go through a series of chemo-therapy, bell ringing takes on a very special form of celebration – a bell is rung signaling a celebration – this series of chemo is over!

The tradition began at MD Anderson and continues in many infusion centers throughout the country and I suspect around the world. The Methodist Hospital Infusion Center carries on this tradition.

On my first day of chemo, just as I was finishing, I heard the sound of a loud, ringing bell and the cheers and applause echoing through the halls. “What is that?” I asked the nurse. Smiling, she told me, “Someone’s just completed their last round of chemo, when that happens we have a celebration and you ring the bell. When you finish, you too will ring the bell.”

Emotions run high when you are going through chemo. Those words spoken by my words brought tears to my eyes. Tears of thanksgiving for the one who had completed the chemo, tears of hope that I too would be able to ring the bell, and tears of acknowledgment of the reality of the journey that was before me.

It has been a journey. There have been ups and downs but through it all I have been surrounded by the love and encouragement of friends and family and many that I do not know that have prayed for me. I’ve met so many who have walked this journey before me who have been my inspiration.

On Thursday, Maundy Thursday, the day that Jesus met with his friends in the Upper Room and shared what we call today the “Last Supper” I finished this round of chemo. Jesus reminded those that surrounding him that while the journey as they knew it was coming to the end, there was “more” ahead. A more that changed the way we look at both life and death. Hope for the present and hope for the future became a reality.

As my wonderful nurse, Beverly, gently and loving pulled the needle out of my arm and wrapped a bandage around my arm she said, “this is it, let’s walk down the hall. It’s your turn to ring the bell, it’s your turn to celebrate and bring hope to others.”

As many of you know, I hate to cry. But, as I rose out of my chair and began the walk down the hall, tears flowed freely and unexpectedly. I was not prepared for the emotions that both filled me and overwhelmed me.

Beverly was the town crier, as we walked down the hall, she announced, “It’s time for celebration, someone’s finished, we’re ringing the bell. Come and join us.” And as we arrived at the spot where the bell was, I was surrounded by nurses and staff who have been with me on the journey. Loving me and gently taking care of me.
I was surrounded by family as well, my husband, Chuck was at my side and our youngest son, Kirk. But truly I was surrounded by all of my family who have been so supportive since the news arrived that I had ovarian cancer and family, friends, the church…the list goes on and on.

I read the words inscribed on a beautiful cross stitched hanging:

Ring this bell
three times well.
It’s toll to clearly say
My treatment’s done,
this course is run,
and I’m on my way
.

I rang the bell, loud and clear. Cheers and applause filled the air. My treatment’s done and I’m on my way…new life and resurrection await me.

1 comment:

  1. I have cried also. Love you my friend----great blessings be upon you this Easter=---we are risen!
    karen

    ReplyDelete